The full strength of the BFD Band is 40 members; we currently have a number of openings, in particular for CLARINET, FRENCH HORN, TROMBONE and PERCUSSION.
Why join the BFD Band? There are many reasons
1. We play lots of interesting music. Lots and Lots of it;
2. We play many fun engagements, locally and internationally;
3. We will provide you with a top-quality instrument that is yours to play wherever you wish as long as you're a member of the band;
4. There is no charge to you for your uniforms (we have three orders of dress), other than for one pair of black pants we ask you to provide for yourself. (By comparison, many community bands make YOU pay a fee to be a member. Not us.);
5. We provide opportunities to play in smaller groups/chamber ensembles. Jazz your thing? Check. Brass ensemble? Check. Dixieland? Check;
6. We will provide expert instruction at no charge to any band member who wants it--that's free private lessons--and to players who want to join the band but aren't playing at the level they need to just yet;
7. We provide training in first aid and some basic firefighting skills (like how to use an extinguisher), also at no cost to the member;
8. We provide opportunities to travel. We have twice sent members to play at the Menin Gate in Ypres (Belgium) on Remembrance Day, and once to participate in an international military tattoo in Izegem, Belgium. The Band as a whole traveled to England in 2011 and Ottawa in 2014. We “get around”;
9. WE HAVE FUN DOING WHAT WE DO -- AND WE DO IT PRETTY WELL :)
10. WE ARE CANADA'S ONLY VOLUNTEER FIRE SERVICE BAND, AND ONE OF THE OLDEST CONTINUING COMMUNITY-BASED ENSEMBLES IN THE COUNTRY. That’s something to be proud of!
If you are interested in joining the band please contact the director Wendell Eisener (902-521-2484) or band